Posted 2 January 2014, 15:18
In 2011-2012, I focused primarily on live performance. For 2013, I decided to place more emphasis on putting together longer pieces and sets for netlabel and CD releases. This worked well, with a CD-R on the Japanese AnalogPath label, two netlabel releases on At Sea and Vuzh Music, and a CD forthcoming in early 2014 on Irritable Hedgehog. Along the way, I did a few live performances and at-home recordings, several of which resulted in individual released tracks.
I am pleased to have participated in several collaborations this year:
- a full-length release with Alan Morse Davies
- a track with ancientsolitude (Sebastian Eckert)
- live sound design/incidental music for Greg Kowalski’s multimedia production of Sarah Kane’s play Crave
Details of Releases and Live Performances
- The Limits of Control, made at home.
- Fog, made at home.
- Xfest set, recorded live at 119 Gallery in a quintet with Jack Wright, Jed Speare, Ben Wright, and Dave Miller.
- Triune, made at home, for Disquiet Junto.
- Syncope, recorded live at Sharon Arts.
- Turbulence Study, made at home.
- The Empty Quarter, recorded live at 119 Gallery. L-A-J reworked/remixed The Empty Quarter in his track Emptied.
- Sketch 2013-07-20, made at home.
- Sketch 1, made at home.
- Sketch 2, made at home.
- Sketch 3, made at home.
- Perturbation, made at home.
- Helical Scansion, made at home.
- Collider, recorded live at Kimball-Jenkins Estate.
- Elementals, made in collaboration with ancientsolitude
- Maxine’s Bells. made at home, for Disquiet Junto.
- 2013-Jan-04: 119 Gallery (Lowell, MA) solo, with TL Borden Trio, Triode, and Bats From Pogo
- 2013-Jan-26: 119 Gallery (Lowell, MA) with Greg Kowalski (visuals), also Farm Hands, Koulendros Murphree Duo, and Bats From Pogo.
- 2013-Feb-23: 119 Gallery (Lowell, MA) spontaneous quintet with Jack Wright, Jed Speare, Ben Wright, and Dave Miller. Recording: Xfest set.
- 2013-Mar-10: Sharon Arts (Peterborough, NH) with Greg Kowalski (visuals). Recording: Syncope.
- 2013-Mar-23: 119 Gallery (Lowell, MA) solo, with Evans Grollman Haas Trio, Dua’Duo, and Ricochet.
- 2013-Jul-05: 119 Gallery (Lowell, MA) with Greg Kowalski (visuals), also Barn Owl, Guerilla Toss, and BiRdOrGaN. Recording: The Empty Quarter.
- 2013-Oct-05: Kimball Jenkins Estate (Concord, NH) with Greg Kowalski (visuals), also 23 Quartet, Dave Kontak Ensemble, and Marc Bisson & Dei Xhrist. Recording: Collider.
- 2014-12-31: Nude Ears Eve at 119 Gallery (Lowell, MA) duo with Christos Koulendros.
- Early this year I completed a three-part piece for sine waves, begun in the summer of 2012, called ~60Hz, which will be released on CD in early 2014 on the Irritable Hedgehog label. This is my most ambitious work of computer music to date, and I’m very pleased to have my first “real” CD released on Irritable Hedgehog in the company of an increasingly impressive collection of work by composers and performers for whom I have the greatest respect. I’m also very happy that Marc Weidenbaum agreed to write the liner notes.
- I’ve made a set of tracks based on my work for Greg Kowalski’s production of Crave, and am hoping that this will become my first netlabel release of the year.
- I’m learning to play and program a very interesting new digital instrument, the Shnth, and am devising a new performance rig using the Shnth, a couple of Arduino-based controllers, a tiny Raspberry Pi computer, and an Android tablet. The aim is to have a small, easily portable setup (suitable for travelling) incorporating digital elements in an organic way and providing a wide variety of sound-making and processing capabilities.